Friday, August 11, 2017

PulpRev's Sampler, Development, & Dragon Awards Drama

I sent in a submission to the PulpRev Sampler Anthology a few days ago, and with submissions now close it's Wait Time as those who volunteered to read and edit get on with the pile before them. I hammered mine out quick, using notes I had laying around, about an event in this Star Wars fork I'm developing.

The story itself is simple: two admirals fighting a fleet action try to outwit each other, only one is much better than the other and wins hands-down by exploiting a blindspot in the other's thinking. If I were to rewrite it, I'd get far more into the back-and-forth of that matchup as each strives to see through the other's moves for the overall plan before committing to the big reveal that starts the climax.

With each fragment and short I write, I'm getting a better sense of this environment. Far more medieval-to-early modern, and I'm quite leaning towards medieval. (Never mistake technology for civilization.) Hierarchy matters here. Religion matters here, so I'm using more of that in dialog and presentation as I go. Sure, there's cars and ships and beam swords. So what? Dune has plenty of high technology also, and no one whines about that being an issue. It wasn't with Crest/Banner of the Stars or my beloved Legend of the Galactic Heroes either. This can, and will, work just fine.

And because of that--and this week being when my great uncle's remains came home from Pearl Harbor--I had little time to devote to the petty drama (and SJW entryism) at the Dragon Awards. I'm taking a pass on commenting about it; if you want some, hit up Kairos in the Blogroll and read Brian Niemeier's account. Or listen to this week's "On The Books", which I will embed below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments are allowed. Pick something, and "Unknown" doesn't count.