Friday, March 9, 2018

No Mercy For The Stupid: Against Idiot Ball Tropism

I don't like idiots for major characters, especially if they're supposed to be experienced characters. If I'm not getting some serious duel-of-wits action between Hero and Villain, I am not satisfied. Outsmarting is necessary, but not sufficient, for outfighting the enemy. This means that I utterly despise the Idiot Ball as a trope.

Good conflict requires a back-and-forth of conceal-reveal, where the parties try to outflank each other for a decisive advantage. It's this sort of thing that makes a fight scene, a battle scene, legal maneuvering, etc. interesting and allows you to demonstrate character by action, which can take something cliche (e.g. a one-on-many firefight) into something spectacular if you execute it right. (And I do try.)

But when someone who really ought to know better acts like a moron, someone who--in that situation--should be slain, ruined, or otherwise utterly defeated, that's when I get mad and put it down. I've dropped books, comics, shows, and films over this and I sure as Hell won't put up with it in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments are allowed. Pick something, and "Unknown" doesn't count.