Friday, February 9, 2018

"You Write Like John Woo!" Is the Goal, Not an Insult

I've laid down the basics for Galactic Christendom by now. I can go into more details on related stuff, but little of it matters to the setting or the stories I want to do here, so I'll hold off for now and come back to it when I decide to shift my focus and write stories in these earlier eras.

For the immediate post-Azure Flames era, read the backlog here. A lot of those stories are in that time, featuring the progenitor of the the race of Men known in the future as "The Sons of Ken" (who still exist in Galactic Christendom; many find useful work with the Knights of Saint George- the Monster Hunter Order). I even get into the shadow war and its penumbra of the pre-Azure Flames era, using pre-changed Ken, and I'll come back to that down the road also.

But there is a constant. With Galactic Christendom, I adopt wholesale the motto of R. Talsorian's Mekton Zeta: Action, Romance, Giant Robot Combat. The other eras swap out the giant robots for something else (most of the time). I want heroes, and I want heroic action and adventure, so I'm going to deliver it good and hard. If I err, it's on the side of delivering the goods; I've long been a fan of things like Larry Hama's famous "silent issue" of G.I. Joe, and being able to do that in prose is my sort of challenge. I like my plots to move, dammit, and at speed.

If the worst said about my stories are that they are too much like John Woo movies, then I did well. That's where my aim is at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments are allowed. Pick something, and "Unknown" doesn't count.