Friday, December 21, 2018

Writer's Notes: Reavers of the Void

A general and unorganized list of notes you may find amusing.

  • There was a Jojo's reference, but I deleted it.
  • That dirge Gabriela sings? It's the opera half of this awesome song. Ramsey's relating the tale of Pope Simon I replaces the other half. Yes, it's a Gurren Lagann reference.
  • The duet that follows? Yeah, it's this song.
  • Both Minotaur and Roland are meant to be simple Super Robots. Roland will change over the series, and more powerful Super Robots will also appear.
  • Oklahoma is my Yamato. It's the battleship on the cover, it's a Hero Ship, and it's a recurring guest star in the series. If the memories of Yamato and Enterprise can be kept alive by making multiple fiction series around fictional counterparts, then I can do this for my great uncle, his shipmates, and Oklahoma. Fight me.
  • Ramsey's name is a joke for Minnesotans. "Ramsey" is the county where St. Paul is, and across the river is "Hennepin" where Minneapolis is. Sibley Hall, his wife Henrietta, and their sons Creton and Durham are also nameplace jokes.
  • I have no idea what the actual songs Gabriela sings before the attack hits, but I love E.R.B.'s Mars books so I referred to that instead.
  • Yes, Count Vikuun Qis is my Palpatine. Yes, he is based on a historical villain; no, it's not Hitler. Yes, he's a Gamma, just a high-functioning one; it's why he gets mad at Red Eyes so fast: Gamma Knows Gamma.
  • Azazel is the marker by which tech escalation will happen, since he's driving most of it. He starts a little behind the curve, but figures out how the Guard can do the stunts they do; this will come back later. This includes his want for Gabriela; she's a means to an end, and as soon as he finds out there's an alternative he'll drop his pursuit like a wet sack of cement. Yes, that does mean cloned Nephilim, at full size and power; some might as well be Kaiju, if you know your Biblical tales. See what I mean by escalation? Red Eyes, etc. are tools and nothing more; the instant they lose value, he walks.
  • Creton's gunzerker rage is part of his character arc. We'll see Durham down the road, and some of his other brothers.
  • The end state isn't "They are in love." It's "This girl impressed me, let's see what happens." and "He's the husband I choose; he just has to see it."
  • Expect a lot of shorthand by implication. Yes, that's Scotland and its border reavers; I started there and adjusted things to suit my narrative needs.
  • Yes, "Goblin" and "Hobgoblin" are D&D references and TIE Fighter shout-outs.
  • Yes, those are Tron Lines when Ramsey conjures Durendal. If you've seen Tron Legacy, then you also know how Ramsey recovered so fast.
  • There hasn't been a major war in the galaxy in generations. The militaries of the houses reflect this. Expect this to change.
  • Jack is both my Harlock and my Char.
  • Scott Lynch has a habit of putting dopplegangers in his books based on people he knows. I'm in his series, so I'm returning the favor. Find your doppleganger, Scott.
  • Hell's Heart is small and primitive as space fortresses go. Think of a FTL-capable version of Axis (Zeta Gundam, ZZ, Char's Counterattack). We eventually get to Iserlohn (Legend of the Galactic Hereoes) sorts of fortresses, with Mega-Lasers and big stationed fleets and so on.
  • Redalen's Revenge uses Yamato's body, minus conspicuous con tower. I don't know if it has its Wave Motion Gun or not. It will change over time to resemble Harlock's Arcadia. I have no idea who Redalen is at this time.
  • The Archangels are the Getter Robo team in the role of mentors and leaders. Their Super Robots don't need authorization to deploy, can be used independently (instead of being a form the combined robot uses), and need only combine to form Metatron. If that has to happen, a Cataclysm-level event is on the table and has to be stopped.

1 comment:

  1. Bradford,

    Yeah the reference to Princess of Mars/Barsoom amused me a lot. Made me wonder just how much culture was lost and needs to be recovered.

    Qis reminds me of the historical Quisling. SO it'll be very interesting how you work the historical references. I'm betting you'll thrown in a Pétain type cahracter too.

    Azazel is great as creepy, mysterious villain and I see him wreck some serious havoc.

    The history of Scotland with its Highlander vs Lowlander? I missed that major plot story. Any historical references you can recommend so I can get up to speed.

    Jack's great as a scumbag rogue and I really look forward to him getting his justice.

    All in all I really enjoyed the story and look forward to its evolution I owe you my review as well as if you need to hire out

    Thanks for entertaining me

    xavier

    ReplyDelete

No anonymous comments are allowed. Pick something, and "Unknown" doesn't count.